In Blender 2.8x the undo/redo operation system (ctrl+z / ctrl+shift+z) has been completely rebuilt. One of the results of this API change is when the undo operation is performed, all objects in the scene are fully recreated – the current object is destroyed, and a completely new object is created instead. Pointers to the old objects (before the undo operation) now point to invalid objects that can no longer be used.
Add-ons are not reloaded by pressing the F8 key in the Preferences – Add-ons window in Blender 2.83. The add-ons reload function call with this key shot was no longer tied starting with Blender 2.80.
To bind the add-ons reloading to the F8 key shot again:
- Open the “Preferences” window
- Open the the “Keymap” section
- Expand the “Screen – Screen (Global)” branch
- Press the “Add new” button at the bottom of the list
- In the operator identifier field, type “script.reload”
- Click on the keyboard field and press F8 to bind this key to the specified operator call
- Press the “Save Preferences” button to save new settings
Tutorial about normal maps.
- 0:08 Check yourself: try to find a mistake
- 0:34 What is Normal?
- 1:12 What is the difference between DirectX and OpenGL normal maps?
- 2:05 How to use DirectX normal maps in Blender?
- 2:26 Invert normal maps on inverted polygons
- 2:53 Bonus
Interface elements in custom user panels often do not correspond to each other in size. As a result – the overall panel layout does not look beautiful. As an example, let’s create a custom panel and place an operator button and an input text field on it.
When opening files through the “File Browser” in Blender 2.8x, directories (folders) are opened with mouse double-click. This change has been made for better compatibility with the standards (directories are opened by double-clicking in most file managers, for example, in the Windows Explorer), but this is not always convenient.
To make the folders opening by a single click:
A few settings that can make your work in Blender a little bit convenient.
Remove the default cube. Each time you open a new scene, you delete it. Let’s do it once.
Remove the lamp light source. In most scenes, you will adjust the lighting in a completely new way.
Put the camera in a separate collection and hide it from the viewport (click on the “eye” in the outliner window), now the camera does not interfere with the scene.
To make glass objects render faster and cleaner in Cycles render engine, we can adjust glass material processing by the number of beam bounces.
“Suzanne” background by cgklutts
Blender 3D add-on for quick and easy materials overrides in the EEVEE render engine.
Official “Blender-ball” scene for materials preview/demonstration.
To get a list of collections with all internal collections, we can use the following function:
def collections(collection, col_list):
for sub_collection in collection.children:
To shift the texture randomly on different objects, the easiest way is to change its location along any of the axes by a random value.
Some times we need to make a render of the scene with the single material, for example, for clay or wireframe renders. Blender has the global materials override option for the Cycles render engine in the “View Layer Properties” – “Override” but not for the EEVEE render engine.
Quick materials override for the EEVEE rendering engine can be made with a small script, as shown in the following video:
Script and video by Vitaly Sokol.
Blender 2.90 alpha is now available in daily builds for download on the official Blender site.
To enable gradient background in the “3D View” window you need:
- open the “Preferences” window
- press the “Themes” button
- in the “3D View” – “Theme Space” -” Gradient Colors” section on the “Use Gradient” checkbox
- and tune the gradient colors “Gradient HighOff” (top color) and “Gradient Low” (bottom color)
- press the “Save Preferences” button to save changes
To orient the “3D Viewport” window to be parallel to the selected polygon you need to press the following keycode:
shift + Num 7
Two knit shaders in the BIS library.
Blender Cycles, Eevee.