When opening files through the “File Browser” in Blender 2.8x, directories (folders) are opened with mouse double-click. This change has been made for better compatibility with the standards (directories are opened by double-clicking in most file managers, for example, in the Windows Explorer), but this is not always convenient.
To make the folders opening by a single click:
- Open the “Preferences” window.
- Open the “Keymap” section.
- In the tree, expand the “File Browser” – “File Browser Main” branch.
- Open the “Select (Mouse – Left Mouse)” key-map.
- Check the “Open” checkbox.
- Save the settings by pressing the “Save Preferences” button.
Now folders in the “File Brower” will be opened with a single mouse click, as it was in earlier versions of Blender.