Blender Interplanety Storage (BIS) – the online material (shader) storage add-on for Blender 3D creation. With the BIS add-on, you can save materials (groups of nodes) to the online personal library and then convenient search and upload them. Saved materials are available from any computer through the add-on installed in Blender.Download
The add-on is open source. If you want to donate – you can buy the add-on for a convenient price, or set the price to 0 and download it for free.
Current version: 1.2.0.
Tested in Blender versions: 2.78, 2.79
- Get *.zip archive with add-on distributive from GitHub.
- User Preferences — Add-ons — Install From File — specify downloaded archive.
- Through your favorite browser visit the BIS site https://bis.interplanety.org/en and register your account – create username and password for personal storage access.
Location: Node Editor window – T-panel – BIS tab
Sign in with the username and password created on the BIS website.
To save a material (the group of nodes) to the BIS storage, select the desired node group and click “Add node group to BIS”. Before storing material you can specify some tags to simplify further material search in the Tags field.
To restore material from the BIS storage – specify the name of the node group, or its fragment, or the previously saved tag, in the “Search” field and click “Search in BIS”. If the Search field is empty, all available materials will be downloaded. Click on the preview window and select the necessary material from the drop-down list. At the moment of selection, the corresponding group of nodes is created at 0,0 coordinates in the Node Editor.
15 active cells are available for saving and getting materials. All other materials are stored in the storage reserve pool. Any material can be sent to reserve, thus one of the fifteen active cells is released. Any material from the reserve pool can be stored in this cell, after which this material will be available for searching and downloading through the add-on in Blender.
Due to the limited space, BIS does not put textures in the repository. If the stored material uses textures, only the relative paths to them are saved in BIS. Uploading such material from the BIS, the add-on searches for the used textures along the saved paths on the user’s local computer.
To set preview for the material saved in BIS, you need to upload it to the BIS website. Visit the BIS site https://bis.interplanety.org/en, sign in and in the specific material cell press the “upload” button to set the preview from your image file.
For procedural node groups, after a while, if the user has not uploaded his own material preview, it will be generated automatically.
For the correct preview autogeneration, the saved node group must be fully procedural (without using textures, textures are not stored on the server) and have an output with “Shader” or “BSDF” types for shader node groups or “Color” or “Factor” types for color node groups. The “Displacement” output, if it is in the node group, is also used. To have proper texture coordinates on the preview, the node group must have a “Vector” type input.
To update the preview internally in the BIS add-on – search the materials again with the “Update Previews” checkbox selected.
- Node group storage divided into three separate types: Shader, Compositing, World.
- Added labels to preview images
- Fixed some bugs with “Frame” and “Reroute” nodes
- Previews autogeneration for procedural node groups added.
- The server part of the storage has been put in order.
- The external and internal design of the BIS website is finished.
- Fixed and corrected some add-on code.
- Updated the BIS description page.
- Fixed a number of minor bugs and errors.
- All Cycles nodes are supported, including script and nested groups.
- Also added the ability to save scripts/texts from the Text Editor.
- Supported all nodes from groups (Shift + a): Input, Output, Shader, Texture, Color.
- Early access